A J Immigration Services | Brexit- Settled and Pre-Settled Status
page-template-default,page,page-id-1617,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1300,footer_responsive_adv,hide_top_bar_on_mobile_header,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-theme-ver-9.1.3,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-,vc_responsive

Brexit- Settled and Pre-Settled Status

Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme

The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. The test phase of the scheme is open now, but you must meet all the requirements to apply.

The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

When you choose to apply may depend on your circumstances.

How you’ll be able to apply

You’ll be able to complete the application form online using any device when the scheme opens fully (for example, an iPhone). You’ll be able to get support over the phone or in person if you need help doing things online.

You’ll only need an Android phone if you want to scan your identity document – you can send your document by post if you do not have access to an Android phone.

What you’ll need

When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK
  • your relationship to a family member from the EU living in the UK, if you’re from outside the EU

Proof of identity

You’ll need a valid passport or national identity card. If you’re from outside the EU, you’ll be able to use any of the following:

  • valid passport
  • biometric residence card
  • biometric residence permit

When you apply, you’ll be able to either:

  • scan your identity document using an Android phone
  • send your document by post

You can use someone else’s Android phone to scan your document. You can also visit one of the organisations offering to scan your document for you. You’ll need to book an appointment and you may have to pay a fee.

You’ll also need to upload a recent digital photo of your face.

Proof of continuous residence

To be eligible for settled status, you’ll usually need to have lived in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You’ll need to provide proof of this when you apply.

If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre-settled status.

You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records.

If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents as proof of residence. You’ll only need to provide documents if there is not enough data to confirm you’ve been here for 5 years in a row.

The Home Office will tell you immediately after you apply if you need to provide any documents. You’ll be able to submit photos or scans of your documents through the online application form.

Read what documents you can provide to the Home Office if you’re asked to provide more evidence.

If you have criminal convictions

If you’re 18 or over, the Home Office will check you have not committed serious or repeated crimes, and that you don’t pose a security threat.

You’ll be asked about your criminal history in the UK and overseas. You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

If you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime, for example you’ve had a speeding fine, you’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

If you’ve been to prison, you’ll usually need at least 5 years’ continuous residence from the day you were released to be considered for settled status.

If you’re from outside the EU

You’ll need to provide proof of your relationship to your EU citizen family member (for example, a birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate). You can scan and submit this through the online application form.

You will only need to provide evidence of your family member’s identity and residence if you apply before they do. If your family member applies first you’ll be able to ‘link’ your application to theirs, using the application number your family member gets when they apply.

If you have a valid permanent residence document you do not need to provide this proof of relationship or evidence of your family member’s identity and residence.

You’ll need to provide your fingerprints and a photo of your face at an application centre in the UK. You will not need to do this if you already have a biometric residence card, or are 4 years old or younger.


On 21 January the Prime Minister announced that there will be no fee when the scheme opens fully on 30 March 2019. Anyone who has applied already, or who applies and pays a fee during the test phases, will have their fee refunded. Details of the refunds process will be published shortly.

If you want to apply now, the fee (which will be refunded) is:

  • £65 if you’re 16 or over
  • £32.50 if you’re under 16

It’ll be free to apply if you already have a valid ‘UK permanent residence document’ or you already have indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK.

Apply to the test phase of the scheme

You’ll need to meet additional requirements to be eligible to apply in the test phase – for example, you must also have access to an Android phone.


Translate »